POSTING DATE: FEBRUARY 5, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
PAY GRADE: F District Entry/Hiring Salary: $24,771.59
Salary based on education and experience.
This is a grant funded position until 2024.
This position is subject to close once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified.
LOCATION: GA Strong Families Program, Columbus Department of Public Health
2100 Comer Ave, Columbus, GA 31904, 2nd Floor HHS Center
DUTIES: Under broad supervision of the Georgia Strong Families (GSF) local Coordinator, the Family Support Specialist (Parent Educator) provides a broad range of social services to patients/clients/consumers and their families. This position will implement the Parents as Teachers (PAT) model, emphasizing parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting and family well-being in their work and families. The parent educator must complete the Parents as Teachers (PAT) Foundational and Model Implementation Trainings before delivering PAT services.
• Engage in recruitment activities, as applicable
• Complete an initial and annual, family-centered assessment with each family
• Develop, monitor, and review goals with each family
• Provide personal/home visits focused on parent-child interaction, development-centered parenting, and family well-being, which includes planning, delivering and documenting the visit
• Use the PAT Foundational curriculum to share research-based information with families
• Provide group connections to give families an opportunity to build social connections with each other, engage in parent-child interaction activities, and increase their knowledge of ways to support children’s development
• Connect families to resources and help parents and children transition to other services, as needed
• Maintain and submit all required family and program documentation in a timely manner
• Organize and inventory supplies, materials, etc.
• Participate in at least 2 hours of reflective supervision monthly
• Participate in at least 2 hours of staff meetings monthly
• Obtain competency-based professional development and renew parent educator certification annually
• Participate in continuous quality improvement
ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree in a social service-related field from an accredited college or university AND One year of experience in a social services related field OR High School Diploma or GED AND Three years of experience in a social services related position OR One year of experience at the lower level Social Services Tech 2 (SST011) or position equivalent.
An applicant who has a disability, which requires special accommodations, should contact Human Resources at 706-321-6127.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY AT: www.dph.georgia.gov Click on “About DPH”, then “Careers”. Locate this position and click “Apply” to begin your application.
Applicants chosen for employment will be subject to the following:
• Criminal Background Check/Fingerprinting
• Pre-Employment Drug Screening
• I-9 Employment Verification
• Reference Checks