- All HIV counseling and testing is confidential!
- The Teen Center offers HIV counseling and testing to teens who are at risk.
- There is no cure.
- HIV is definitely on the rise in our teen population.
- The HIV virus lives in human body fluids, blood, semen, breast milk, and vaginal secretions.
- It cannot survive in the air or in water.
- It cannot live in our food, or on our clothing, or on toilet seats.
- There is a greater risk of getting HIV by having anal sex without using a condom.
How to protect yourself
- Abstinence is the only method that is 100% effective in preventing HIV.
- If you choose to be sexually active, use a latex condom every time, don’t have sex while you’re drunk or high, and don’t have multiple partners.
- Don’t share needles, razors or toothbrushes.
- Know and talk with your sex partner.
- Have as few sex partners as possible.
- Remember, you get HIV through an exchange of body fluids!
For more information, call your local health department at 877-337-1749 or visit www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/healthservices.