Vital Records maintains records of all births and deaths in Muscogee County and assists in the filing and issuance of these certificates. Birth and death certificates are also available at the Harris County, Crisp County and Sumter County Health Departments. For other counties in our district, call the Probate Court in your county, or you may call or come to the Columbus Health Department to obtain these certificates. For more information, call 706-321-6130.
8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday – Friday
- Issue birth certificates (ID required)
- Issue death certificates
- Assist in the amending of birth and death certificates
- Paternity acknowledgements
* To save time when you visit our office, please print out a copy of the application for birth or death certificate and bring the completed form with you.
APPLICATION FOR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
APPLICATION FOR BIRTH CERTIFICATE (IF PAYING BY CREDIT CARD)
APPLICATION FOR DEATH CERTIFICATE
APPLICATION FOR DEATH CERTIFICATE (IF PAYING BY CREDIT CARD)
*Please note: the Vital Records Office does not issue Social Security cards.
Birth Certificates are also available at the
Vital Records Annex, which is located adjacent to:
Georgia Department of Driver Services
8397 Macon Rd
Midland, GA 31820
Annex Phone: 706-561-0415
Annex Fax: 706-617-6918
* Birth and Death certificates cost $25.00 for one (1) certified copy and $5.00 for each additional copy on the same person at the same time of purchase. Valid picture ID is required.
* There is a $10.00 charge to complete a Paternity Acknowledgment or Legitimation on a child that is 1 year old or older.
* Vital Records will no longer be accepting personal checks effective April 1, 2011.
Birth Certificate Information:
- “Original” birth certificates are kept on file at the State Vital Records office in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Certified copies can be requested from our office whether you were born in Muscogee County or any other county in Georgia. If you were born in another state, you must request a certificate from that state.
- Birth certificates are not automatically mailed to new parents; there is a fee for the first birth certificate.
- Birth certificates are generally ready to be picked up two (2) weeks after birth.
Birth Certificates Can Be Issued To:
- Individual named on certificate
- Parent (listed on birth certificate)
- Natural Brother/Sister
- Legal Spouse
- Legal Guardian (Must have court order)
Birth Certificates Cannot Be Issued To:
- Aunt, Uncle, or Cousin
- Niece or Nephew
- Non-family member
- Military Recruiters
Paternity Acknowledgment Information:
- Paternity Acknowledgment forms are completed in our office by appointment only Monday through Friday.
- Both the mother and natural father must be present.
- Both the mother and natural father must have valid picture ID* and signed social security cards.
- There is a $10.00 charge to complete a Paternity Acknowledgment on a child that is 1 year old or older.
For Birth and Death Certificates
Under Georgia Law, Birth Records are restricted documents and can only be requested by individuals who are eligible to receive them (eligibility requirements are described in detail on the appropriate application forms). Current photo ID must be presented to receive certificate.
Accepted Forms of Identification:
- Georgia Driver’s License or Georgia ID card (Expired less than one year accepted)
- Driver’s License or ID Card issued by another U.S. State, jurisdiction or territory*
- U.S. or Foreign Passport
- U.S. Military ID- Active Duty, Dependent or Veteran
- Consulate Card*
- Transportation ID*
- Voter’s Registration Card*
- Debit Card*
- Employer ID Card*
- School, College or University ID Card*
- DMV ID Card*
- Dept. of Corrections ID Card*
*CARD MUST HAVE A PHOTO TO BE ACCEPTED.
Individuals under the age of 15 are unable to request a copy of their own record.
For Paternity Acknowledgements
- Current Driver’s License or ID Card with Photo issued by another U.S. state, jurisdiction or territory
- Current US or Foreign Passport
- Current Military ID – Active Duty, Dependent, or Veteran
If you are requesting a certificate by mail, please mail to:
Columbus Department of Public Health
P.O. Box 2299
Columbus, GA 31902-2299
*Please be sure to include a current phone number on the application.
*A copy of a valid picture I.D. must accompany the application.
For more information:
Columbus Health Department – Main Vital Records Office
706-321-6130 or 1-800-789-5501.
Vital Records Annex:
Phone – 706-561-0415
Fax – 706-617-6918
Revised 07/5/16 pk